Northwest Baptist Home Mission
Who We Are
Northwest Baptist Home Mission is an independent institution organized in 1957 and dedicated to establish, aid, and encourage Baptist churches which are, or will be in fellowship with the Baptist Network Northwest.
The Northwest Baptist Home Mission is the home mission agency of the Baptist Network Northwest, facilitating both church planting and church planters within the framework of New Testament missiology and historic Baptist theology, providing impetus, oversight and financial management in the implementation of the great commission.
We will facilitate the establishment of churches by 1) researching and locating regions, areas, cities or neighborhoods that are not being effectively evangelized by existing churches, by 2) enlisting and equipping church planter/pastors who are content-oriented preachers/disciples to plant Christ centered, New Testament Baptist churches and who will seek to lead those churches to affiliate with our association, and by 3) helping to stabilize struggling churches when requested.
We will provide leadership for church propagation in the Northwest by enlisting churches to singly and corporately become involved in the propagation of new churches by 1) adopting either the mother-church model or joint area church and/or associational sponsorship through the NBHM, by 2) enlisting churches and individuals to become partners in church propagation through their financial support, by 3) stimulating interest and involvement in evangelism and home missions through the ministry of our personnel and board, and by 4) motivating our constituency to intercessory prayer for our mission churches and missionaries.
We will give oversight and direction to the church planters and the church planting process by consistently adhering to scriptural principles and mission practices mindful that, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded, and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” (Luke 12:48).
We will manage the finances entrusted to us as good stewards accountable to God by 1) using the best business practices and accounting procedures, by 2) the wise expenditure of the Lord’s money in aiding churches and church planters, and by 3) regular board review and audit and by reporting annually to the Northwest Association of Regular Baptist Churches.
Where We Operate
The Mission operates within the territory commonly known as the Pacific Northwest:
- Washington – where 40 of the 72 Regular Baptist Churches have been organized and/or aided by the Northwest Baptist Home Mission.
- Oregon – where 10 of the 20 Regular Baptist Churches have been organized and/or aided by the Northwest Baptist Home Mission.
- Idaho – where 11 of the 16 Regular Baptist Churches have been organized and/or aided by the Northwest Baptist Home Mission.
Currently there are 3 new church starts under “Mission Church” status with Northwest Baptist Home Mission. These churches are in various stages of development. NBHM encourages churches to achieve “Self-Support” status as soon as possible, following the guidelines in the document “Graduating From Mission Church Status”.
The following churches have been birthed as a result of the cooperative efforts of the churches within our Association that have budgeted support for Home Missions and in some instances by a “Mothering Church” that, in cooperation with NBHM, sponsored the new church plant.
The Church Planting pastors and families are to be saluted for their dedicated lives and selfless sacrificial ministries. They are our “frontline soldiers” in reaching the Northwest population with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- International Baptist Church – Portland, OR
- Iglesia del Pueblo – Grandview, WA
Church Planters are families erecting churches that will bring the “light of the gospel of the glory of Christ” (2 Cor. 4:4) into communities and families in the Great Northwest, influencing them Godward. They must have our prayer support and financial under girding to continue to punch holes in the darkness of this world. The following couples are actively planting new churches in the Northwest.
Prachan & Tuanjai Rodruan
International Baptist Church
Phone: (503) 929-2720
Antonio and Grace Sanchez
Iglesia Del Pueblo
Phone: (509) 778-2607
HIS Churches is the Church Planting program of the Northwest Baptist Home Mission, carrying out the Great Commission within Hispanic communities throughout the great Northwest.
HIS Churches E.W. is a coalition of pastors and churches in Eastern Washington, in partnership with NBHM, dedicated to promoting the establishment of gospel preaching Baptist Churches in Hispanic population areas.
Opportunity Around Us
- According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Hispanics are rapidly becoming the largest minority residing in the U.S. and accounted for more of the country’s overall growth in the 1990’s than did non-Hispanic whites.
- The Hispanic community grew by more than 13 million people or by 58%. The number of non-Hispanic whites increased by 6.4 million. This from the 2000 census.
- Even more surprising than the size of the Hispanic gains was the location. Historically the Hispanic population has been concentrated largely in the Southwest. That is no longer the case.
- During the 1990’s the Spanish speaking population in Washington State grew by an astounding 387.5% and is now approximately 1 million.
- The median age is 25.9 years, almost 10 years younger than the nation as a whole.
When opportunity knocks, the wise person opens the door!
People Among Us
- “…. with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.” (Rev. 5:9)
- “The Hispanic community is not one single unit but a mixture of a variety of peoples and customs. We need to understand their origins if we are to learn how to reach these masses with the gospel. They may seem to be all the same to the untrained eye, but in reality they are as diverse a mixture as the early European immigrants to America.”
- “Anglo-American Christianity’s inability to speak the language of its southern neighbors has been a barrier to reaching Hispanics with the gospel.” (Alex Montoya, author “Hispanic Ministry in North America”, is a Hispanic pastor & Founder of the Southern California School of Ministry, which prepares Spanish-speaking men for the gospel ministry.)
The Lord is bringing to our door-step these souls in need of the Christ, the Savior. Dare we say that we are too busy with caring for the sheep already in the fold to spend and be spent to reach this growing ethnic group among us? The mañana mentality will not do! We must act pronto!
Challenges Before Us
“Do you not say, ‘Four months more and then the harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.” (John 4:35)
There is no harvest without reproduction. We sow the gospel seed among Hispanics, it yields fruit, we conserve the fruit by gathering it into churches. Reproduction! We will ask the Lord of the harvest to bless the Sowers and the Seed!
The Challenge of Resources
In Church Planting as in wheat planting, finances are necessary. We will look to the Lord of the harvest to supply the finances through His established, obedient churches!
The Challenge to Recruit
We must recruit Hispanic speaking Church Planters who not only speak English and Spanish but who understand the Hispanic culture. We will pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers!
Will you be a partner in HIS church planting?
HIS Churches Team Members
Juan Carlos and Angelica Magallanes
Heritage Multicultural Baptist Church
Antonio and Grace Sanchez
Iglesia Del Pueblo
Phone: (509) 778-2607