Baptist Network Northwest has been in existence under several different names since 1945. John Ruhlman, in his book “History Of Northwest Regular Baptists,” documents the beginnings of our Fellowship:
- 1945 Spring Meeting of the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship of Western Washington at Tabernacle Baptist Church in Seattle.
- 1946 Name changed to International Baptist Fellowship and meeting was held in Vancouver, B.C.
- 1949 Name changed to Northwest States Baptist Fellowship.
- 1957 Name changed to Northwest Fellowship of Regular Baptist Churches.
- 1993 name changed to Northwest Association of Regular Baptist Churches.
- 2006 Name changed to its present “Baptist Network Northwest”
Our network grew out of a hand-full of churches that fellowshipped together for the purpose of supporting church planting endeavors. This group formed the Columbia Basin Mission in 1940 and was based in Wenatchee, WA. In 1949 the mission merged with the Fellowship of Baptists for Home Missions (the church planting ministry of the GARBC), and was known as “FBHM District 11.” In 1957 the name was again changed to Northwest Baptist Home Mission. Therefore BNN came into existence as a result of an interest in church planting.
Our network of churches and the Home Mission are inseparably entwined. Our network has grown from a half dozen churches that began meeting together in 1940 in the interest of Home Missions, to nearly 100 today. The few churches from which sprang our network were mission-minded churches.
We must keep our history and heritage alive by each and every church in our network by aggressively participating in the program of propagation of new churches through Northwest Baptist Home Mission, the official church planting agency of Baptist Network Northwest. Presently we have 9 new baby churches. Let us join hearts and hands and pray, pay and plant more churches in our Great Northwest, enlarging our network and writing new history for the future!